What's "Gearbox First Setup.pif"?

Newuser3068 23:05 22 Oct 03

My daughter's computer runs Windows 98 version 2. The computer boots up to the desktop successfully and then reports:
Cannot find the file 'C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\Gearbox First Setup.pif'
In Windows Explorer I have looked in the appropropriate folder and the file appears to be there. I have reloaded Windows over the top of itself, but the report still happens every time we boot up. Otherwise the computer appears to run normally.
Can anyone please tell me (a) what this is all about, and (b) how to rectify the problem?
Many thanks in hope.

powerless 23:08 22 Oct 03

Start, run, type:

msconfig

Click ok and click STARTUP.

Look for anything that looks like Gearbox First Setup.pif and remove the tick from the box and restart the computer.

Or delete Gearbox First Setup.pif from the startup folder on the start menu.

VoG II 23:09 22 Oct 03

Start, Run and enter

MSCONFIG

Then click OK

On the Startup tab, untick Gearbox.

I think this is part of NTL. You do not need it.

Newuser3068 23:13 22 Oct 03

Much obliged, guys. I'll do as you suggest.

woodchip 23:19 22 Oct 03

It is the NTL321 BT line setup it can be removed from the Add Remove programs the new phone number to use is 147008089909877 if you have an account with them. To set this up you should go to my computer double click on it then double click on Dial-Up click the Make new connection wizard to setup your account with the above number all in the one box it does not need a local number

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…