What's a firewire please?

Halmer 07:11 20 Jan 06

I know that I have one on my new PC and I now realise that the two little TV screens were appearing in the bottom rihjt hand corner re this but what is it?

Forum Editor 07:21 20 Jan 06

is the brand name for a high-speed data transfer technology that was originally developed by Apple computers. It is also referred to as IEEE-1394. You'll find the special firewire connector at the back of your computer. Common uses for FireWire include data transfers with external hard drives, Camcorders, webcams, Apple iPods.

wee eddie 07:49 20 Jan 06

The first is as FE explains it.

The second is a piece of software that, when up-to-date, protects your PC against Worms and Trojans that might use your PC to contact others.

A better description of Worms, Trojans and Firewalls can be found by putting the words into Google or Ask.

wee eddie 07:51 20 Jan 06

refer to connections with other PC's.

Either, over the Internet, or as part of a network.

Halmer 21:32 20 Jan 06

The two little screens that were appearing at the bottom right of my PC, which I thought was my internet connection, I have found out is a firewire con. It is at the front of my PC.

VoG II 22:03 20 Jan 06
  woodchip 22:17 20 Jan 06

Or if you are connected By Dial-Up modem, not Broadband the TV's are for that. I don't think they are for a Network as I doubt you have got round to that yet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced