What's an Ethernet USB

DaveBuxton 00:27 20 Jan 04

Emachine 320 900Mgh 128mb Ram 30gb HD
Running ME 2USB Ports
Tried installing speedtouch 330 USB broadband modem, would not install, infact machine would only boot in safe mode, uninstalled and ran Dr speedtouch told me could not find Ethernet USB.
Installed on our other machine running Windows 98SE no problem, only noticeable difference between machines other than operating system is on board network card on latter, If I installed a normal network card although like other machine would not be used, would this solve problem, or do I have to fit Ethernet USB what-ever that is
Thanks in advance

Forum Editor 00:41 20 Jan 04

is a USB modem, and connects to one of your computer's USB ports - you don't need a network card to be installed in the machine. There have been some problems with this modem when connected to a motherboard with a VIA based USB controller. The VIA chipset has a limit of 500mA power drain to the USB controller, and will shut down the device if it detects that more than this is being drawn. Although the 330 is supposed to draw exactly that, there have been reports of it drawing 570mA, and therefore being repeatedly shut down.

I don't know if this applies in your case, but if you
click here you can at least download the latest driver and try that. Otherwise you could try installing a PCI USB card with a couple of extra ports - that sometimes solves any problems.

DaveBuxton 00:58 20 Jan 04

Thank you for very quick response, If I purchased Powered USB hub would this solve problem
Thanks

Microdot 09:07 20 Jan 04

Please check very carefully that the Powered
USB hub will provide at least 500ma per port.

A lot of the cheapo ones cannot

Cheers de Art.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…