whats eating my memory

>steve< 18:22 07 Feb 06

i have 512m/b's of memory installed and i dont have many aplications running just av, ms beta,logitech media live,z alarm,spyguard, i have done all the scans or is it just a time to upgrade?

SG Atlantis® 18:28 07 Feb 06

This isn't a psychic forum :p

If you could tell us a bit more about your computer and what happens when it's slow.

Have you had a look in task manager to see if there's a particular process taking up all the resources?

>steve< 18:35 07 Feb 06

well iv just installed google desktop and the system applet is saying 89% of my memory is being used i am running xp not so long ago when i checked how much memory i was using it was only using 59% could it be the google desktop yhat is munching it.ps what els do you need to know?

stalion 18:35 07 Feb 06

try turning off spyguard when NOT on the internet to see if it makes a difference

Skyver 18:36 07 Feb 06

It could be Google Desktop indexing the system - is the HD light on constantly?

stalion 18:40 07 Feb 06

also if this is what you are useing it does not have a very good write up click here

>steve< 18:45 07 Feb 06

no it only index's after 10 mins of inactivity usualy i would say it possable spyware but all my scans come back negative.allso i have just noticed when i try to fire up ie it no longer connects to the Internet i am using fire fox,in my opinion it is much better but i do still need ie to update,do i have to renew my internet settings in ie again?

>steve< 18:48 07 Feb 06

sorry mate i said it was spyguard its not its spyware guard.

stalion 18:55 07 Feb 06

it does state on the site that they cannot guarantee no conflicts with other security measures you have on your pc and recommend spywareblaster instead.Something to bear in mind

>steve< 18:58 07 Feb 06

cheers mate ill try it.

keith-236785 19:04 07 Feb 06

my windowsXP Pro/sp2 is using 395mb of memory with only 2 browser windows open.

xp takes a lot of memory and with only 512 mb, you are nearing the limit to which windows starts to use the hard drive as virtual memory which slows things down.

as SG Atlantis® says, some more info would help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5