What's the easiest way to get more disc space?

Halmer 09:45 14 Nov 04

My XP PC is fine and good enough for the purpose that I use it for i.e. internet and MS Office mainly.

Following useful advise received here I have increased RAM by 256MB and updated drivers etc to get the best out of my PC without going beyond my depth.

The issue facing me now is that my hard disc is only 10GB and quite full. I have copied photos etc to CD to save space but really I need more now.

What options are available to me and how much is likely to set me back please? Is it a job for a professional or can I do it myself?

ICF 10:04 14 Nov 04

Installing a hard drive is really very simple. click here

Halmer 10:09 14 Nov 04

I'll read and post back. Not sure if I'm that competent tho'.

I could always pay my local PC shop to do it I suppose.

Based on a quick read I asume that I can add a big hard drive and also keep my existing one. I could then leave all the Windoes system files on my existing drive and use the new one to save data files. Is this possible?

Dorsai 10:12 14 Nov 04

And they are not expensive. I am not recomending this particular drive, just using it for an example, 60Gb, 3 year warranty, under £50. click here

PSF 10:12 14 Nov 04

It is a straight forward to add a hard drive.

You will be looking at approx £32 for a 40gb or £55 for a 120gb click here for some examples.

click here

click here

PSF 10:17 14 Nov 04

You can keep the existing one and use the second one for storage. It only takes a few minutes to do.

Halmer 10:22 14 Nov 04

I'm reasonably intelligent but don't fancy blowing the thing up!

Does the link kindly posted by ICF give me all I need?

seedie 10:33 14 Nov 04

40G maxtor £28.99+ carr.
Fitted one for neighbour Fri.

click here

CD

Dorsai 10:35 14 Nov 04

The power cable will only go in one way up. It's designed so you can't get it wrong.

The data cable may very well have a small tab on one side, to make it, also, only go in one way. If you get it the wrong way, in my experiance this will do no harm, but the drive just wont work.

But the cable should also have a red stripe down one side. This stripe should go onto the main board to pin one, which should be printed on/near the plug on the board. There should also be a simular marking on the back of the new drive, telling you which end of the data (IDE) connector is pin 1. But as i say, most modern IDE cables have a tab on the plug, so they only plug in one way round to start with. As explained in section 8 of the walk through.

the link, from ICF, I read it. It seems to cover all the bases.

The only other thing to remember is to guard against static. For you a small static shock is only irritating. For a PC it could be terminal. The best option is an antistatic wrist band.

Such as click here

Graham ® 11:01 14 Nov 04

Have a look inside the case first, after removing the mains lead.

Find your way around and locate the existing hard drive and IDE cable. There should be a spare connector on the IDE cable and a spare power plug.

Brian-336451 11:11 14 Nov 04

You can purchase USB2 caddies that accept a fullsize hard disk (I've got two and plug them in to my laptop when I want access to data/storage) then I put them away if not required.

I had the hard drives anyway because I dismantled a desktop machine in favour of the laptop route.

The above advice IS good, fitting a new hard drive (if you have the bay, chances are you do) is very easy and most rewarding, does wonders for your self esteem. There is oodles of information on the internet on how to do it.

So, you've got a couple of options to be going on with. Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…