What's a dongle? And do I have one?

mitey_won 18:50 13 Oct 04

Joking apart, am looking at upgrading my graphics card. Been browsing thru the various fx5900 and 6800 models and alot of them cite the following blurb..."An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)".
What does this mean???? Is this to connect the card to the mobo in another place in addition to the pci slot(s)? I am assuming a dongle is a connector hanging off the mobo and is of a size normally required for HDD's?

Dorsai 19:06 13 Oct 04

I think it means that the Card uses so much electrical power that a standard AGP slot cant cope. SO you have to plug in an extra power cable, of the same type used bu HDD's to supply the card with electric.

But Where dongle comes into it i dont know. The power connector for a HDD have a name, but not dongle.

a dongle is another thing compleatly.

JonnyTub 19:07 13 Oct 04

Dorsai 19:11 13 Oct 04

That is the word that was on the tip of my fingers, bot would not drop out, and land on the key-board.

Cheers JT

Androcles 19:11 13 Oct 04

Never heard of it myself,but look here:-click here
Dongle - Wikipedia Regards.

Dorsai 19:14 13 Oct 04

Yes, Androcles, that IS a dongle.

A very effective answer to software piracy.

The program wont run, with out a special piece of hardware, in effect a key, plugged into the PC.

I didn't bother saying what is was, just what it wasn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…