What's Do I Have Running

NotSureBoutThis 02:52 28 Mar 07

How do I find out what I have running on my machine?

I have quite a lot of icons in the bottom right hand side (by the clock) that I’m sure I don’t really need.

When I run the following I’m sure it searches something like:

Superantivirs = 150000 files!!

S&D = 65000

Adware SE = 12000

Thanks for any assistance

dms05 08:50 28 Mar 07

Look at Windows Task Manager (easy access is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time). This will show you Applications, Processes and so on. Don't be tempted to cancel any.

However you will have much more than that running. Your Operating System (XP?) is made up of many many components and that's why it takes so long to load as it starts up each individual module. However when running XP hides them in Task Manager.

Quote from a web page: We'll be dealing with Windows XP services here. You will find these services in your Start, Programs menu named, "Administrative Tools". By Default Administrative Tools is not shown. You will have to enable it by opening Taskbar and Start Menu. Taskbar and Start Menu is accessible on the Classic Start Menu by clicking on Start, Settings, Taskbar and Start Menu. On the XP Start Menu you will have to get into the Control Panel and the Taskbar and Start Menu applet. Put a checkmark beside, "Display Administrative Tools. Click OK and then click on your Start, Programs, Administrative Tools and Services.

More details click here Note the disclaimer!

provider 2 12:58 28 Mar 07

This might be what you need:click here

SB23 16:19 28 Mar 07

A program I have installed is Superantispyware, and this has a tool on the main menu (bottom right) that lets you see exactly what is running on your machine. It also lists any suspect programs that if your not sure about you can send to them for investigation.

NotSureBoutThis 20:32 28 Mar 07

Thanks for that

As I investigate your advice and tips, I'll feel more confident.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…