What's the difference between a router and a modem

Kitz E Kat 21:53 23 May 03

Hi , its a silly question to ask but then i don't know the answer, is there a difference between a DSL router and a DSL Moden? In waiting on a broadband connection,im doin a self installation , cos they want €100 to do it!!!
So i need a modem/router ? I would ideally like to be able to connect two or more computers, i allready have a network switch, can i still use this? I would like to be able to connect XP, Mac OSX and RH Linux. Any advice wold be great.
Thanks
Kitz E Kat

Forum Editor 22:46 23 May 03

is a device that MODulates & DEModulates data - it takes digital information and converts it into analogue form in one direction and does exactly the opposite in the other direction. It allows your computer - which is a digital machine - to communicate via a telephone line, which handles analogue information.

A router, on the other hand, does a different job. It acts as a sophisticated switch that knows what is connected to it at any given moment. It takes data packets from one network - say the Internet - and decides on the best ROUTE for them, based on the state of the network with which it's dealing at the time. A router maintains a complex map (for want of a better word) of the state of a network, and sends the data to a given point in the most efficient way. Routers are used out on the Internet to decide how best to route Internet traffic from point to point.

In your home, a router makes an ideal interface between your home network and the Internet. Many ADSL routers (but not all of them) have ADSL modems built in. Those that don't have their own modem will have a port into which you can plug an ADSL USB modem. Routers will have RJ45 Ethernet ports for CAT5 network cables, and if you want to have a wireless network you'll need to think about a wireless router/modem combination, or a wireless access point - both will require all computers to have wireless network adapters - either internal PCI cards or external USB adapters. Laptops can use PCMCIA card wireless adapters.

Kitz E Kat 00:32 24 May 03

I think its fair to say that you have answered my question! A most definitive answer! Thanks, at least now i know what the hell im looking for.
Thanks
Kitz E Kat

The Spires 00:35 24 May 03

:-O

johnnyboyUK 00:54 24 May 03

i just bought a new adsl router to replace my modem and to make my network better - i can now have any machine switched on or off as i dont need internet connection sharing
the router i got was the netgear dg 814 adsl modem/router
very simple to set up, my 2 yr old nephew could of probably done it for me :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…