What's the difference between...

brewersfan 20:04 01 Jun 03

... oem and retail? As a newbie pc builder, I fancy having a go at building a base unit. The spec I'm looking at is P4 2.4 on a Gigabyte 8SQ800 board, 9500 Pro, 512 MB of PC400, 80Gb HDD, DVD player, XP Pro, 5.1 speakers. I reckon I can get the lot for less than £700, but I believe that's based on so-called retail prices (apart from XP oem). Don't know if that's a good price or not, but maybe it can be reduced somewhat by using oem products... whatever they are? Help would be appreciated by anyone please!

Thanks,
brewersfan

Agent Smith 20:06 01 Jun 03

OEM + Original Manufacturers Equipment (I think) comes on it's own by itself with no manuals etc.

Agent Smith 20:07 01 Jun 03

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturers

DieSse 20:12 01 Jun 03

OEM is for supply to system builders. Although you can also sometimes buy them at retail, they are not packaged the same.

There is no particular standard of difference - you may or may not get a box, software, cables and screws, documentation - and even sometimes the product is not identical. You will also not necessarily be entitled to the same level of support from the manufacturer.

It really varies a lot from item to item, and there are no hard and fast rules.

-pops- 20:13 01 Jun 03

No point in buying glossy print boxes just to chuck away and fancy, expensive manuals that you'll never read. I always buy OEM when I can and save loads of money - you would be best doing this as well.

Brian

wunup 20:14 01 Jun 03

oem is no frills.Just stuffed in a box. Retail is all buzzers and bells and you pay more for it. If you get stuck without a manual you can always post here for help.

Quiller. 20:18 01 Jun 03

OEM, original equipment manufacture is hardware and software that is supplied to system builders. The size of the builder can range from one person building the odd machine to factories mass producing computers and pheripals.Anyone who wants to build a computer can buy OEM products. I personally have no problem with this and use them all the time.

The main difference with OEM is that you get it in a plain package with no extras. You will get driver disks. If for instance you were to go and get a hard drive, you would get the drive and may get a skimpy manual with it. If you bought retail boxed you MAY get an IDE cable, a posher manual, screws, a fancy box and even a driver disk? You would certainly get the screws and fancy box. Whoopee.

brewersfan 20:41 01 Jun 03

Thanks for all that info. It appears that all I'd be needing is any necessary cables, and some way of fixing the drives to the case?

brewersfan

-pops- 20:46 01 Jun 03

A number of cases come provided with fixing screws and runner guides (if they use that system).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…