What's the deal with DVD writing

Elrond 13:08 10 Oct 03

I see the price of DVD writers has dropped to around the £100 mark in some cases. Yet am still unsure about the whole standardisation issue. Is there a format that is likely to stick around? What DVD writer format should I be looking for for long term future?

Chegs ® 13:18 10 Oct 03

Get one that does + and - formats,(I did)then your covering both bases.

stlucia 13:19 10 Oct 03

Current wisdom is, I believe, that DVD+ is the one to go with if you're going to go for a single-standard machine. But check what standard your domestic DVD player, and any friends' that you might want to share your DVDs with, can play.

BarryKeith 13:22 10 Oct 03

Nobody knows yet! There are writers available that
can use both formats and this may be the best way to go. At present, DVD writers are in the same situation as the videotape formats were when first introduced, it was a toss-up whether it would be Betamax or VHS, as it turned out we got the worst of the deal as Betamax was capable of far better quality. We shall just have to wait and see which comes out on top this time, just as we did then.

seancblack 14:03 10 Oct 03

This should answer your question by the end of the first question click here

seancblack 14:07 10 Oct 03

This should answer your question by the end of the first sentence (doh)

Elrond 16:38 10 Oct 03

Thanks to all and to seancblack for the link. Thant's cleared a few things up for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…