What's causing 8 restarts in a row?

Pooke 19:05 07 Sep 05

winXP, athlon xp3200.

Turned computer on and it rebooted 8 times before getting into windows.

I checked event viewer, several red x's. Messages like:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
AmdK7
Avg7Core
Avg7RsW
Avg7RsXP
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip
vsdatant

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Any advice appreciated, what device isn't functionning. the only thing attached externally is the ntl cable bb box.

Pooke

AndySD 19:15 07 Sep 05

Run a virus/trojan check it sounds like something is trying to use the network connection before you get into windows.

Pooke 20:32 07 Sep 05

Done lots of scans and all are clear.

prima12 20:43 07 Sep 05

I recently had a similar problem with my w98se, the icons would appear on the desktop, some would load others wouldn't. I did a malware scan using a2 and it came up with some Trojan dialler, I deleted it and it's been OK since. P

igk 22:07 07 Sep 05

The first 4 error messages refer to a networking/modem/router failure this could also mean failure of your NTL box,have you checked the device manager for any problems?(yellow crosses etc)as I am not aufait with NTL cable setup I can't say for sure but regarding the first error message "netbios over tcp/ip" this service is not normally required (I always disable it in "services")I would suggest contacting NTL (probably via Mumbai!!!)

igk 22:15 07 Sep 05

As an addition to above.. as your pc rebooted itself multiple times before getting into windows the event viewer messages may not be a reliable indication of the problem,I would tend to have a look in your bios and see if there are any problems(you should see a minimum config setting,you could try that)

Pooke 10:55 10 Sep 05

Erm, it's getting worse, could it be the PSU.

As far as I can see it's pretty random and there are NO events in event viewer this time. Sometimes it even gets stuck on the post screen and doesn't go past it. Also sometimes during POST it doesn't display the cpu and sometimes it does and gets it wrong.

Twice this morning the machine just cut out, a few light clicky noises and it reboots 12 or 13 times to get into windows.

Pooke

Pooke 10:57 10 Sep 05

tried failsafe defaults same results.

as for ntl, no more events, but i was thinking the ntl box previously......

Pooke

Pooke 16:11 10 Sep 05

up ^

freaky 11:08 11 Sep 05

Possibility that your PSU is overloading, and the overload trip is activating. Alternatively, the transformer coils are breaking down, and are not giving sufficient wattage for your system to run.

How old is your PSU and what is it's output rating ? Also, have you added any additional drives etc to the PC that would require more wattage than the original setup?

Pooke 18:20 11 Sep 05

Extra dvd rw drive about 6 weeks ago, this is only happening over last 2 weeks max.

Since I installed Linux Xandros free edition (dual boot) and then formatted to take it off and put xp on on its own is it a coincidence?

The PSU is a colors'it 550watt. I have ran memtest86, powermax and ran other stress tests. The system passes them all. I have updated all system drivers and the bios through MSI liveupdate.

It happens more when the machine has been off for a good while.

Pooke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…