Whats blocking my internet connection?

catax 13:34 03 Jan 06

Before xmas i reinstalled my norton internet security 2004 on my main pc but as soon as i did i couldnt connect to the internet. So i uninstalled it thinking that would the the trick but is still the same. I have run the norton remover programs (which i downloaded from the symantec website), run winsockxp, regseeker, ccleaner but theres still parts of norton or symantec on my pc when i do a search in regseeker. Can the 3 norton and 15 symantec files/registrys still be blocking my internet?

I know something is blocking my ip address because when i go into my wireless network manager my wireless adaptor is connecting to the router but all i keep getting up is waiting for ip address then invaild ip so theres something blocking it on my pc. My other pc and laptop work fine and connect to the net. I cant do a system restore as i dont have any restore points.

Diodorus Siculus 14:52 03 Jan 06

Try the system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

catax 15:20 03 Jan 06

i done the scan and a message came up "windows file protection" windows requires DLL cache

please put windows xp home edition in to the cd-rom drive.

All i have is a xp home recovery cd, which i am trying i hope that is right??.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 03 Jan 06

Look on your hard drive and see if you have a folder i386

if so then sfc /scannow problems
click here

VoG II 15:28 03 Jan 06

A rescue disk probably won't work. However if you can find an I386 folder on it and copy it to your hard drive then you can use this method click here

catax 15:54 03 Jan 06

I have looked on my hard drive and i have a folder called I386.

woodchip 16:08 03 Jan 06

Run System Restore if it works to before Norton

VoG II 16:13 03 Jan 06

No restore points woodchip click here

Follow the instructions click here to tell SFC to look on your C: drive for the I386 folder.

catax 16:13 03 Jan 06

i dont have any system restore points until after norton was uninstalled so i cant, unless you know of another way to do it??

Graham ® 17:33 03 Jan 06

Not in System32 or I386.

catax 19:30 03 Jan 06

i dont have a DLLcache folder in system 32 or I386 and my system 32 folder is in my I386 folder is this right?

If not i will search on my recovery cd for system 32 and add it to c:\ and add the folder dllcache to C:\I386 do you think i am right to do this?

I have been on the updatexp.com website as you said and followed the steps but if the DLLcache folder isnt in c:\ then whatever i do it willnot find it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…