Whats better at telling temperatures?

Totally-braindead 19:55 15 May 06

Appologies for the long explanation on this one. But I wanted to get the story down pat.

I have a 3500+ Athlon 64 on XP, based on an Asus A8NSLI Deluxe motherboard and have been running it with the cool and quiet software and the Asus probe software for a while now. I also have a XFX 7600 GS graphics card.

CPU and system temps are fine but the 7600 GS has no fan just a gigantic heatsink that runs the full length of the graphics card. I've been a bit concerned about the temperature its been reaching, its an overclocker card and I've no intention of overclocking it but it was only £5 dearer than the standard card but I thought it "might" have better quality components and it runs a little bit faster.

The temperature it reaches under load with a graphically challenging game can be 95 degrees centigrade. Contacted XFX and they thought it was a bit too hot, running temperature under load should be about the 80 degrees mark so I added another case fan which has seemed to cool it a bit. It now appears to be running about the 80 degrees they stated was normal. Still being a bit concerned I decided to get a front panel fan/temperature controller so I could fit the sensors on the graphics card, case and CPU and disable the cool and quiet program. This I have done and the temps I get from the panel are about 10 degrees cooler than the Asus probe software says. So which one is more likely to be right?

The temperature reading I am getting from the graphics card is not supplied by the Asus probe software but by the Nvidia software and its also about 10 degrees hotter than the panel says it is. Also does anyone know how to get the Nvidia software to display the temperature rather than having to go into the software all the time? I'd like it to run on the taskbar all the time so I can instantly see whats going on.

Anyone any suggestions? I was going to try a second card in an SLI configuration but I am concerned about the heat.

Joe R 20:51 15 May 06

I was having a few problems recently (with cpu and not, graphics temps), and was recommended Speedfan by a knowledgeable friend.

It seems to have a very good range of choices and options, and shows my cpu temp, to be about 10 to 12 degrees lower than my motherboard software does.

click here

Totally-braindead 20:58 15 May 06

Thanks for that Joe R I think I'll try it and see which one of the temperature readings it agrees with, at least then I'll have a better idea of what going on.

I've been thinking about it since I origally posted and may have an idea why they are 10 degrees apart. I'm thinking that the Asus software and probably the Nvidia software actually read the core temperature and the sensors don't which might explain the discrepency.

Anyone got any comments on that theory?

Joe R 21:09 15 May 06

my original fault was caused by a probe being in a slightly higher position, than it should have been, caused by myself, when changing heatsink and fan.

Before changing, my cpu average temp' was about 35degrees idle, and 40-42 under load, which afterwards rose to between 45 and 50 degrees, even after refitting the standard AMD retail heatsink and fan.

My cpu is a slighly lower flavour, 3200+ 64, but has never felt at any time, as if it was overheating, and was just a worry because of the rising temp, with a superior heatsink and fan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…