What's the best way to copy these files please?

bemuzed 20:13 14 Aug 08

I've got many GBs of files, pictures etc on a Windows ME PC. I now have a laptop running XP. Could you please advise on the best way of copying across?

The win Me machine has 2 hard disks; where I use one to back up files from the first and to save non-important data. I was thinking of just plugging the second disk into the portable and continuing to use it as a second drive, but it has a IDE(?) cable and the portable a USB slot, so I would need a IDE to USB converter and a power source for the drive, I think.

Could you please advise on best thing to do?

Ditch999 20:34 14 Aug 08

If both have a network adapter you could use a crossover network cable to directly link the two together

bemuzed 20:57 14 Aug 08

Ditch999 - is a crossover cable something I plug into etherent ports? Presumably I can get them from an online store?

Thinking about it, both go into a router so I should be able to go via that. Only thing is portable has a broken screen so I was going to use it with PC screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…