What's the best way to backup...

The Dazza 14:39 29 Dec 05

for example, if I wanted to do some work on a machine, what would be the best way to back that machines docs, program files etc onto DVD before I started tinkering?

pj123 14:56 29 Dec 05

The best way is obviously to clone the hard drive to another hard drive of the same capacity.

Depending on what O/S you are using you could use xxcopy (free) from click here or xxclone (free) from click here for Win XP. I am on Win 98SE and use xcopy.

The Dazza 15:04 29 Dec 05

is ghost simular?

pj123 15:20 29 Dec 05

Sorry, I can't answer that as I do not have Norton Ghost.

I normally clone my main C: drive to another hard drive and then take that out of the computer and store it separately.

My other drives D: E: and F: which only contain my files/data/music etc.. are backed up to DVD using Nero BackItUp on to DVDs.

These backups are done at regular intervals. The C: drive (which doesn't change much) is cloned about every 6 months. The other drives are backed up about every month to DVD. Mine takes about 8 DVDs but as DVDs are so cheap now it is worth it. I normally keep about 6 months DVDs and then throw them away.

The Dazza 15:35 29 Dec 05

So I could load xxcopy onto an external hard drive copy the tower's hard drive to this? What then is the difference between doing that and just copying & pasting the towers hard drive onto the external drive?

pj123 15:42 29 Dec 05

Because you can't just copy and and paste Program Files.

That's why you need to clone the drive.

The Dazza 15:48 29 Dec 05

Thanks m8. So basically I need to load the clone software onto a hard drive then copy the original hard drive to this new hard drive with the clone software on?

rawprawn 17:20 29 Dec 05

Acronis True Image
click here

stalion 17:30 29 Dec 05

if you decide to buy acronis type holiday in the promotional box and you will get it for $29.95

Beas-Knees 17:36 29 Dec 05

I'm with rawprawn, brilliant easy program, last week at work hard drive packed up,fitted new hard drive and true image restored everything from backup hard drive in 10 minutes, available for £12 plus P&P from click here

stalion 17:41 29 Dec 05

you might as well go for version 9 only another £4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now