Whats the best way

ronalddonald 11:42 18 Jun 08

to clean a desktop computer fan in the hardrive near the motherboard. Many thanks for any good ideas

jack 12:09 18 Jun 08

For Starters.
When you say fan near hard drive - I assume you mean the Front of case fan?
These are usuall in a plastic 'cage' that latches into the front panel and gentle squeezing of the case near the slots unlatches it.
Then unplug from the PSU harness and lift out.
Then fan it self is screwed or latched into this casing- Now you can clean it and the cage with with damp tissue.
Whilst it is out lift the label on the fan boss and drop in a little machine oil to fill the cup.
Not WD40 that is not a lubricant.
Then reassemble and put it back.

If this is not the fan you are describing go into more detail.

Whilst you are at it- a good clean up of the case,PSU and CPU fans would be useful also.

ronalddonald 14:05 18 Jun 08

That is the fan im describing. I rest my bios and i noticed some dust on the fan but im a little heasitent to clean since ive never really cleaned out the fan before. I dont want to damage the motherboard etc so i just need to prepared as best apossibnle. Any way many thanks i keep it open for a while for others to contribute.

mrwoowoo 01:52 20 Jun 08

click here
Don't use a damp cloth anywhere near your components.

ronalddonald 16:36 20 Jun 08

mrwoowoo a grest article and thanks for letting me know about the damp cloth.

ronalddonald 16:46 20 Jun 08

mrwoowoo a grest article and thanks for letting me know about the damp cloth.

mrwoowoo 16:54 20 Jun 08

You can use a small paintbrush with long natural bristles. 1/2inch(12mm) size is ideal,to gently brush away the dust.
This may be a better article.
click here

ronalddonald 19:31 20 Jun 08

mrwoowoo this is an awseome article one of the best i didnt knw about using apencil to hold the fan baldes in place. Manuy thanks

ronalddonald 13:16 02 Jul 08

I'm resolving this now thank all for advice specially mrwoowoo they were great articles and would help novices out like myself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…