What's the best method for backing up the registry

TommyRed 18:39 05 Sep 03

It appears my toolbar has been hijacked by a piece of spyware consequently I've posted on the 'Spywareinfo' site as the're supposedly experts in this field. I've been asked to delete certain thngs in the registry and I need to back it up first. My OS is 98SE and I have a CD-RW. TR

wiznyme 18:46 05 Sep 03

Go to start/ run, type in regedit and click ok.

Go to File/ Export make sure you select all for export range, give it a name and save it somewhere you can easily find it.

Rtus 18:52 05 Sep 03

you may like to try a scanreg restore ..
at the dos command prompt C:> scanreg /restore choose a date prior to "spyware" problem it should remove any reference to it and stop it running..Please note it will also remove any other item of software /hardware not installed prior to the date you choose .. As you have a cdrw - try obtaining Drive image 2k2 it will back up a good system and allow you to restore every bit of it in minutes rather than hours of resetting up windows and all its drivers/software you use..all handily stored on master Cd's /or spae hard drive....well worth the money..

Rtus 18:53 05 Sep 03

Forum Editor 18:54 05 Sep 03

for the registry backup is the desktop. If things go pearshaped you are almost always likely to be able to get there at least, whereas you may have problems finding a more remote location if Windows Explorer plays up - which it often does if the registry goes awry.

Ironman556 19:05 05 Sep 03

As said above, use export.

I always put it on c:\ so it's easy to find, although desktop is a good idea.

TommyRed 19:06 05 Sep 03

How do I restore it from the desktop? TR

wiznyme 19:07 05 Sep 03

Double click on it say yes and it will restore automatically

TommyRed 19:11 05 Sep 03

Sorted it, just double click. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…