Whats the best Menu Builder?

Ricky 18:38 11 Mar 04

Hi
I have my own web site and I want to incorpate some drop down menus to enhance it a bit. I use Frontpage 2002 and I want something that can easily be used within it.
I have researched on the internet that maybe J-Bots Navigation Components could be the answer but I can't find any examples of the end results.
Can anyone advise?
Cheers!!

tbh72 10:32 12 Mar 04

click here I can't comment directly on it's quality, but have used coffeecup software before and it has been excellent value for money.

Taran 16:22 12 Mar 04

It very much depends on how you want to work this out.

The J-Bots add-in is a good bet for FrontPage integration and if you want a point and click solution to use from inside the FrontPage interface I'd say it is possibly the best solution you'll find.

You can, if you feel inclined, generate your own drop downs in FrontPage and there's some good resource information on the MSDN site: click here

Again, if you're prepared to get your hands dirty you can use any of the scripts available from the likes of:

click here

click here

click here

click here

or

click here

It very much depends whether you want a free script download to tweak yourself or whether you want something that you can click on inside the FrontPage program.

Gaz 25 20:31 14 Mar 04

Here, this is my attempt...

Remember as well that the colours can be changed.

click here

If you like it drop me an e-mail by clicking the envelope next to Gaz25, and I will send you the correct files and modding instructions to make it YOUR own.

Gaz 25 20:32 14 Mar 04

PS. Note the hoverover.

Gaz 25 20:33 14 Mar 04

Oh an because its in tables, adding text doesnt make the images jump everywhere!! ;-)

Taran 08:37 15 Mar 04

As nice as your example looks, it is a little difficult to manually modify and further develop Dreamweaver generated JavaScript, especially where the user wants [preferably] to embed it into FrontPage or even use it as a FrontPage add-in.

The CSS entries in the file are also contradictory to the Java effect for general text based hyperlinks.

IClaudio 08:46 15 Mar 04

And it doesn't work properly in Firefox :(

Taran 09:40 15 Mar 04

That's an interesting point and one worth stressing.

Dreamweaver may be good - well, let's face it, it IS good - but like every other WYSIWYG editor it is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Some threads in this very forum have highlighted just a few areas where it can trip you up badly sometimes and the bottom line is that it does not produce 100% cross-browser compatible code by default. It does have some nice tools to help along the way with cross-browser compatibility but it is not entirely reliable.

Gaz 25 20:27 15 Mar 04

Yeah, where I can I use HTML to develop my sites. However for things like that, layers, rollovers I would prefer to leave the large amount of coding to Dreamweaver, which works relativly well, and saves considerable time.

I am not supprised that it doesnt work in firebox since it doesnt support the format these buttons were created in. Anyway, its a nice looking little menu and its in my websites folder. ;-) Just another one to tinker with. LOL...

But I see what you mean about cross browser, the site I coded by hand works a dream in Safari / opera / IE 5 + / Firebox, etc.. but some of the more advanced (better looking too) sites dont work as they do in IE. :-( and I even tried modifying the code, but it doesnt help a browser without the feature.

I would suggest maybe just a DHTML menu then, which are easy enough to set up, or using just a standard button system (loosing the hover for cross browser).

Good luck.

Gaz 25 20:31 15 Mar 04

You see the problem is not Dreamweaver itself really, its just that other browsers are not as good at the rollover JavaScripts. :-( Shame becuase its quite a decent looking menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced