What's the best laptop for £300-ish?

buel 19:05 30 Jul 08

Hi there, i have another friend who wants a laptop but wants to spend around £300, he is very much a novice when it comes to computers and surfing the net so can anyone please make any recomenations? Ps- he is going to live in Barbados in 3 months time so it needs to run on 110 electric(am i right to think that a simple converter will do this? He wants XP and not Vista as i think Vista will be too much for him.

awest3 19:43 30 Jul 08

My cousin has just bought a toshiba laptop from PC World business at a 25% discount...works out at about £260...comes with XP HE. 15" screen, celeron processor (not sure which one), 1Gb of memory and 120 Gb HDD..seems a good deal...snag! you have to set up a business account..its cash only though so no real business a/c needed. You have toi be able to prove you are a business I think..my cousin runs his own so OK..not sure if there is anymore software on it. I'll have it to set up soon (anti-virus etc..)so I'll post more info in a day or so...

Al

jack 19:45 30 Jul 08

Simply because the manufacture of the main components are in the hand of a few firms and often the biggest difference is the brand label.- So don't get hooked on Brand- just the best value for your £/€.
Take a look at click here,

jack 19:46 30 Jul 08

Try this one
click here

jack 19:48 30 Jul 08

Summats up tonight

This one works

click here

MarvintheAndroid 19:51 30 Jul 08

Can't go wrong with Novatech. click here

Personal recommendation and that's rare !!

Marv

awest3 09:59 01 Aug 08

Toshiba looks good...2ghz celeron chip...just finished setting it up...cost was £240.
Al

jarvis10@btinternet.com 10:07 01 Aug 08

this seems fantastic value click here great support company. compare this to 2 years ago amazing!

buel 06:30 03 Aug 08

Hi there, i have another friend who wants a laptop but wants to spend around £300, he is very much a novice when it comes to computers and surfing the net so can anyone please make any recomenations? Ps- he is going to live in Barbados in 3 months time so it needs to run on 110 electric(am i right to think that a simple converter will do this? He wants XP and not Vista as i think Vista will be too much for him.

jack 10:55 03 Aug 08

Is to wait and buy one locally.
The price is the last thing to worry about
The first thing to get right is as you say correct voltage.
Secondly and equally important a local service/warranty facility
Warranties are not usually international.

awest3 19:16 03 Aug 08

hmmm, should have tested the dvd drive before spending 4 hours pulling all the various apps together for my cousin's latop...its faulty! took it back to PC world they checked it out with various bits of kit and it has to be replaced..(the whole laptop that is) new one in a day or so....didn't follow my own procedures..."test everything first before starting work on it"...live and learn so to speak...

Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced