Whats the Best (Free) Player for Audio/Video

david4637 20:44 17 Aug 04

The question is in the title, but please note I do not want WMP. Thanks David

christmascracker 20:55 17 Aug 04

Winamp every time, it's great

click here

dfghjkl 22:35 17 Aug 04

i use real player (latest version 10.5) some dont like it as they say it takes over their pc.i think it is the best,i use it for everything,cd play,media files,viewing trailers,videos and cd burning etc.

pj123 22:41 17 Aug 04

I use JetAudio free from click here

Plays everything even realplayer files and doesn't take over your computer.

ton 22:45 17 Aug 04

Winamp

I would also go with Winamp.

There is a free alternative to RealPlayer click here

Sethhaniel 09:17 18 Aug 04

With the plugins it handles all media be it graphic or sound or video
worth a bash for free ;)

bremner 09:22 18 Aug 04

iTunes every time

click here

Djohn 10:09 18 Aug 04

I too found that Realplayer was very intrusive so tried AudioJet but couldn't seem to get it set up right even with some help from pj123.

Mainly wanted it for BBC player to function. I had a look on the BBC help page and they offer a basic download of Realone player, excellent and if it were not for the fact it's showing in Add/Remove programs I wouldn't know it's on my system.

I've had it on for about 8 months now and never seen it yet, visits to BBC radio sites bring up the BBC player and give me access to all the programs available.

On the download from the BBC site although Realone will ask for your name and e-mail you don't need to fill in these fields, it still downloads and works fine. click here It's the top one highlighted in yellow.

david4637 14:40 18 Aug 04

Thanks ever so much for all your info. Unfortunately I would have liked to try ITunes but it won't work on W98SE.

1. I may try IrfanView, I have got the basic version but did not download the Plug Ins. You reckon it will play all audio/video?

2. I will then try JetAudio.

3. Then your other suggestions
Thanks David

Sethhaniel 14:50 18 Aug 04

with all plug-ins plays almost all my video (some it says needs file from web - not connected at home so have to remember later)
it plays my RealAudio - CD's - mp3s - MOV etc,.
very versatile program for free

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…