What's the best File Recovery Software?

NirvanaGuy 21:12 14 Feb 05

I recently lost some files that I would like to have back. I'm now using WindowsXP after a painstaking 9years of Windows95/8, and I used the system restore to put my system back to a point where the files should have been still in tact.

Unfortunately that didn't work. So I downloaded PC Inspector File Recovery, but that didn't help at all. I believe it might have something to do with it only working on drives in the Fat formats, and I'm using NTFS.

If anyone can sugguest a good file recovery utility that might be able to help me out that would be wonderful!

Thank you again to everyone!

stalion 21:14 14 Feb 05
  VoG II 21:14 14 Feb 05

click here

You will need to run this from another disk, e.g. floppy.

NirvanaGuy 21:19 14 Feb 05

Thanks thats great! I'll check them out! How's this for SOD's law... just found O&O UnErase 1 on a CD I have. D'OH! I have a feeling it won't work, but thank you for the fantasticly quick replies!

Technotiger 21:26 14 Feb 05

Hi, I was about to suggest the same as stalion - but I won't bother now ..........

Cheers :-))

stalion 21:27 14 Feb 05

awwwwwh go on

Technotiger 21:30 14 Feb 05

oh alright - click here

Technotiger 21:32 14 Feb 05

oops - click here

GaT7 21:34 14 Feb 05

System Restore will not & cannot recover files you've created. I would strongly recommend to backup your data (& other created) files(preferably to another hard disk &/or a form of reliable removable media).

"Unlike System Restore which monitors only a core set of specified system and application file types (e.g. .exe, .dll etc), the Backup Utility usually backs up all files including users personal data files, ensuring a safe copy stored either on the local disk or to another medium. System Restore does not monitor changes to or recover users' personal data files such as documents, drawings, e-mail, and so forth. While system data contained in System Restore's restore points are available to restore to for only a limited period of time (by default restore points older than 90 days are deleted), backups taken by the Backup Utility can be recovered anytime." - source from the link below.

Make a note of this useful link about System Restore's FAQs, How-to & T'shooting for future reference: click here.

Good luck with the file recovery! G

NirvanaGuy 21:37 14 Feb 05

Thanks to everyone, the O&O program didn't find the program and files I lost. :( Maybe I'm not searching for it correctly!

octal 21:40 14 Feb 05

There's a few here: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…