What's this?

  Diodorus Siculus 22:27 14 Mar 04

Two laptops that I have purchased recenctly have come with a metal block (?) to be put around the modem cable. Any idea what it is for?

  powerless 22:28 14 Mar 04

Ferrite core?

  Diodorus Siculus 22:31 14 Mar 04

Powerless - maybe, but what for?

  Gaz 25 22:53 14 Mar 04

Yep its a Ferrite core!

Normally used for RFI suppression.

  Gaz 25 22:57 14 Mar 04

And it also prevents interferance, Electro Magnetic Interference. Ferrite cores should ALWAYS be affixed to the power cord or whatever, since if it isnt it violates the EU laws and safety on EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interferance)

  Gaz 25 22:59 14 Mar 04

To explain it in english it suppresses interferance that may make the product cause undesired or harmful operation, thus so not to violate any laws a suppressor, Ferrite core is attached.

  gudgulf 22:59 14 Mar 04

Ferrite rings are to reduce rf(radio frequency) interference--these are built in to many connecting leads but can be added as extras to many devices which may be rf sensitive. Cables can be effective aerials and the performance of a number of electronic device may be affected if these high frequency signals are fed into these.

Apart from pc's and game consols ,hifi devices such as cd players are examples.

  bloo meeny 23:05 14 Mar 04
  Diodorus Siculus 07:35 15 Mar 04

Thanks for all those; now I know!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now