What is wrong with MSN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhuddlan 22:20 04 Aug 04

Since last nite msn messenger has been signing out on it's own and it shouldn't do as I have broadband so the internet is not disconnected for it to do so!!! MSN explorer won't display all the buttons properly and when adding a contact on msn explorer it won't add after filling in all the details. And it also takes longer to load when signing in and again it shouldn't as I have 1Mbps Broadband. Again this has only been happening for the past 24 hours. Have scanned system for viruses, malware, adware, and spyware but I am clear and everything on my system regarding secruity is up to date!!! Any ideas, as these problems seem only to be affecting my account???

The Spires 22:44 04 Aug 04

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the latest version? click here

Rhuddlan 22:46 04 Aug 04

Yes only about 5 times in the past week, audio and video isn't working now on msn messenger, the day just gets better!!!

cga 08:08 05 Aug 04

Have you made sure that Windows messenger is not getting in the way (look for msmsgs.exe in task manager).

keith-236785 09:09 05 Aug 04

MSN was working ok last night i was on it untill around 12.30

no probs at all for me (on NTL BB). maybe its a computer problem not the MSN.

have you checked that your Firewall isnt refusing access to MSN?

i am signed into MSN now and have been all morning.

keith-236785 09:14 05 Aug 04

you could try re-installing MSN, that might solve the problem, if not try logging in with a new user name (you would need to sign up again to get one)

Rhuddlan 13:10 05 Aug 04

My firewall is allowing me to access msn explorer and msn messenger, windows mnessenger is listed in the processes tab in task manager, but has a CPU figure of 0, so I assume that Windows Messenger isn't getting in the way of things, like I said it only seems to be my account and no one elses, do u think it could be corrupted, been trying to give feedback to msn but it won't send, some sort of error appeared while sending, anyone know their support email address? Thanks for the help so far, very grateful, Rhuddlan.

Rhuddlan 13:31 05 Aug 04

I have now uninstalled windows messenger but it still is listed in windows task manager under processors!!!

cga 14:12 05 Aug 04

For some, so far unexplained reason, a recent fix caused windows messenger to start up quietly. This certainly causes conflicts with MSN messenger of the type you were mentioning.

There have been a number of threads where the correct way of dealing with this was given but I just did the quick & nasty of renaming msmsgs.exe (it is in the c:\program files\messenger folder )

Hobbes1986 14:44 05 Aug 04

1. go into the run command
2. type the following "msconfig" press return
3. on the tabs at the top click on "startup"
4. scrol down untill you see "msmsgs" uncheck the tick box.
5. click Ok, you will be given the option to reboot or exit without restart, choose to reboot.
6. the problem should be solved. if not sorry and good luck in finding the solution

cga 14:56 05 Aug 04

Good idea but msmsgs.exe does not appear in any startup list - certainly not in msconfig. At least it did not on my system.

When I said silent I meant "as the grave" :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…