what would be the best way update a 3+yr system

theDarkness 04:38 03 Mar 07

I am currently running a 3+yr via motherboarded 1600mhz athlon pc, with 1gig of ram (I upgraded), geforce fx 5500 (256 bit), with pci sound card and 8x dl dvd burner.

I am wondering if i was ever wanting to update what the best option would be- i would guess that with I would probably need a replacement motherboard for introducing an up to date processor? im not sure how much a new motherboard+processor together would cost for a decent up to date all round system.
wondering what the min and max cost could b for updating to both a reasonable up to date spec for on budget, and for a great spec with a little bit more cash, and what exact specs i would b looking into in both cases!

if any of that makes sense.
cheers! :)

skidzy 09:03 03 Mar 07

Have a look at Novatech for some excellent bundles.

Hard to recommend anything though as you have not mentioned your case type (probably ATX) and your budget but here is something to get you started click here the link is just an idea and probably the easiest way to upgrade as all parts are tested and compatible.

Stuartli 09:05 03 Mar 07

Your best bet may be to buy a refurbished or barebones system from, for instance, firms such as:

click here

click here

or

click here

ITC Sales is an excellent company with keen prices on top brands and fast delivery.

You can then use any parts from your current system such as the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc to create the full system.

You would certainly save quite a sum compared to buying the components such as motherboard and CPU yourself.

Strawballs 09:25 03 Mar 07

I have used the Novatech barebones before and had no problems.

Belatucadrus 12:16 03 Mar 07

What are you trying to achieve and what are you using the PC for ? Should enable some additional specific suggestions.

theDarkness 17:05 03 Mar 07

so i would probably make/save more money- buying a bare bones system, possibly using my already installed gfx and sound cards etc, and selling the old stripped down pc? i already have more than one hd (160 and 300 gig) so i could keep one for a new system. not sure how much i could sell a 1600 pc with 1 gig ram and 160g hd for, with no added sound or gfx?

I use it mainly for graphic design 2d and 3d (3dstudiomax,photoshop etc) so im probably looking for a fairly good gfx system with alot of memory (if i cant use the old ram). Not really sure money wise, id just like to know what i would be paying for the most min of updates that would run my software on an updated system well.i guess compatibility could be the main problem.

Belatucadrus 17:17 03 Mar 07

3D graphic design software tends to be extremely resource hungry on all fronts, go to the suppliers website and check out their suggested system requirements, then stick on a hefty chunk for possible future expansion and take that as a minimum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…