What wireless router do I need please?

  Halmer 20:39 27 Nov 05

I plan to pass my existing PC with XP to my lad when I get me new one soon. I run Pipex broadband via an external ADSL modem on it at the moment.

When I get my new PC how do I set my lad up so that he can get broadband via a wireless router please?

  wotbus@ 20:44 27 Nov 05

try here click here

  VoG II 20:52 27 Nov 05

Basically you need something like click here (I am not recommending this particular product, I have a belkin).

Existing wire from modem goes into router, another cable connects your PC to the router.

Your old PC will need a wireless card like click here

That's about it apart from following the installation instructions.

  Halmer 20:59 27 Nov 05

It says that my old PC needs to be 2.1 compliant.

What does that mean please?

  VoG II 21:12 27 Nov 05

Um I don't know! Does click here help?

  Halmer 21:15 27 Nov 05

Mine doesn't look like it is.

  VoG II 21:19 27 Nov 05

Yes but I only picked one wireless card at random - there are loads of others. I'm sure that you can find a suitable one if you look around.

The alternative is to connect the 'old' computer to the router with a cable. This of course is only possible depending on where the PCs are located or if like Mrs VoG, Mrs Halmer has a pathological hatred of cables.

  interzone55 21:27 27 Nov 05

Possibly the cheapest option is comething like this click here .I have this router along with a wireless PC card and found it very easy to setup.
This system will replace your current external modem and provide you with your desired wireless network.

Some people prefer an internal PCI wireless card to the USB dongles, this is also an option at the same site, you'll just need to do a bit of digging

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017