what is a wireless network?

blendit 23:45 29 Feb 04

any help? a friend has it and states how good it is but i dont even know what it is

powerless 23:47 29 Feb 04
  AubreyS 00:10 01 Mar 04
  Mysticnas 00:50 01 Mar 04

it's a network without wires! :o)

When you run a normal network you need wires going from your pc to another hub/pc.

Wireless uses a wireless ariel. The hub and each pc will have to have a wireless connection. You can get wireless PCI cards for your pc, but a hub will have to be a wireless hub, you can't convert a normal hub into a wirless one.

The whole point is that i cuts the hassle out of messy networking. Say you got 3 or 4 computers and you want to network them. 1 maybe a downstairs, 2 in the bedroom etc... You can imagine all the wires trailing around the house can't you? Well with a wireless network you don't have the wires. No more metres and metres of wire going around the house!

blendit 22:15 01 Mar 04

thanks is there any other advantages other than lack of wires???

powerless 22:22 01 Mar 04

Freeeeeeeeeedom!

Mysticnas 23:01 01 Mar 04

My brother has it setup with Netgear hardware.

I'm unsure as to whether wireless is as fast as wired. I would assume it's not, you can get Gigabit LANs now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…