What is WinPCap 2.3?

sav 21:54 14 Jul 03

I went to Add/Remove Programs and saw this program. Can anyone tell me what it is/does?
Thanks

VoG II 22:00 14 Jul 03

Does this mean anything to you click here

sav 22:11 14 Jul 03

I'm afraid not VoG. It may be software that was loaded when I fitted my network card. I'm reluctant to remove it in case it affects my broadband connection (I connect via an ASDL Router).

VoG II 22:15 14 Jul 03

I should leave well alone. I can't find anything to suggest that it is "malware".

jazzypop 22:18 14 Jul 03

As VoG has pointed out, WinPCap is a 'packet sniffer', i.e. it monitors the data packets sent over a network.

Therefore, it is quite possible that it was installed as apart of a suite of 'helper' applications with your network card.

I can not think of any circumstance where a network card actually relies on a packet sniffer in order to work. Therefore, it really should be perfectly safe to remove, if you want to.

sav 22:27 14 Jul 03

VoG / Jazzypop

Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll have to toss a coin before I make a move!

I suppose the answer is to remove it and use GoBack to restore if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…