what windows 2000 processes need to be running

tulip 10:58 28 Dec 04

Can anyone help I work in a library and need to clear off junk that has been downloaded. Many times when trying to remove toolbars and web searchers they are in use and can't be deleted from add/remove. When I use task manager which processes must I leave running so that I can then delete all the junk

Forum Editor 11:15 28 Dec 04

will stop them running for that session and you should be able to uninstall them from the add/remove programs utility, as you say.

As for what is essential and what isn't, that's hard to say without knowing your computer's configuration, and its connected peripherals. Do you have any spyware detection software on the machine?

MichelleC 11:30 28 Dec 04

I use StartUp Inspector on my w2k pc. It tells you what is essential, and you can turn off anything that isn't. It even picks up some trojans: click here

Irishman 11:33 28 Dec 04

If it's a public computer something like this might be better if you can get the IT department to spring for it! click here

tulip 11:54 28 Dec 04

We do run some spyware on troublesome machines but don't have any permanently installed.

Diemmess 12:52 28 Dec 04

Commendable approach, but as FE says so much depends on how your computer is configured and whether it is networked with others.

If it is truly stand alone, then you have a chance and are wise to enquire first. Just be prepared to take it a step at a time and spend a long time getting things right.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:21 28 Dec 04
  tulip 14:19 28 Dec 04

Thanks very much all. I will give things a go when I get back to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now