What is a Wi-Fi Wireless Adapter ?

Mr Alien 10:29 20 Jul 04

Hi,

I have just bought a laptop which has a built in "Wi-Fi - 802.11b Wi-Fi Wireless Adapter".

What does this mean?

I use ADSL broadband on my desktop via a USB ADSL modem. Can I possibly connect wirelessly by means of this wifi thingy? Or how would I need to go about connecting my laptop to ADSL wirelessly?

Thanks,
Mr Alien.

byfordr 10:49 20 Jul 04

You will need some wireless networking kit. You will need some form of wireless router. You might find its worth investing a all-in-one solution which includes router, wireless router, modem and firewall makes life a lot easier when setting it up. Currently some deals around at the moment that would allow you to connect your desktop wirelessly as well.

click here
click here

For the kit

click here
click here with free laptop or desktop wireless adapter.

Remember if you mix a wireless G and B network it will only run at the range of the slowest components.

A quick search for wireless should reveal more.

R

byfordr 11:00 20 Jul 04

A wireless adapter allows you to access a wireless network.

A wireless router combines a wireless access point and acts as a radio "base station" which is used to transmit the data to adapters. It acts as a gateway for connecting to the Internet.

heres quite a detailed thread click here

R

Mr Alien 11:03 20 Jul 04

Many thanks, I'm slowing catching on....

So if I wanted just my laptop (no other computers) to be online with ADSL, but without plugging it into the wall, I could just buy an ADSL modem that transmits, and the laptop Wireless Adapter would be able to see it and surf The Net?

byfordr 11:37 20 Jul 04

click here

The easiest option would be an all-in-one unit. Ditch your usb modem. Get a all-in-one unit you then have the option of connecting your desktop wirelessly (if not near a phoneline) or hardwired via cat5 and the network ports on the router. The laptop can be used wirelessly or hardwired via cat5. As long as the all-in-one unit is on you can use either pc independently of the other one.

There are several offers around at the moment of wireless kit which offer free adapters. Below examples are for Netgear DG834G offer.

1) have both laptop and desktop connected wirelessly (most of the offers are for wireless g) so may mean a mixed network. Get free USB ADAPTER WG121 for the desktop
2) Assuming you have a spare PCMCIA slot get FREE PC CARD WG511T for laptop (This will allow you to connect to G or B networks) plumb desktop in through cat5.
3)Get free USB ADAPTER WG121. They are small units powered through the usb port (so could potentially be used for either laptop or desktop)

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac