What & Where are C:\FOUND.0## files?

bloo meeny 21:26 03 Oct 09

Having updated and run both SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (with clear results), Avast AntiVirus detected the following 'malware' - JS:Pdfka-NH [Exploit] within the location C:\FOUND.067\FILE0000.CHK

I was able to delete it but I've noticed that there are several of these C:\FOUND.0## folders, and am unable to find them even with a file search.

What are they for and, assuming I can locate them, should they be deleted?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Technotiger 21:33 03 Oct 09

As long as everything is working OK, I would not worry about them, just ignore them. If you are actually having problems because of them, come back here and we will try to help!

rdave13 21:43 03 Oct 09

A search engine suggests BrowserModifier:Win32/Fotomoto and TrojanDropper:Win32/conhook.
Right click Avast in notification area and click start Avast antivirus. To speed things up then click on 'stop memory test'.
Right click the console or 'skin' and select ' schedule boot-time scan. Select all local disks. Click on the schedule tab. Select 'yes' at the new prompt window. Your PC will reboot. You will need to attend the scanning (prior to Windows booting) to determine to delete or quarantine any viruses or trojans.

bloo meeny 21:46 03 Oct 09

Thanks for your reply.

Not had any problems before finding the above malware - bit remain suspicious of any folder(s) that remain invisible (as these do) even when folder view options are set to show ALL, including system/hidden folders/files.

Sorry, should have said - XP & Service Pack 3

woodchip 21:46 03 Oct 09

,CHK should be in the route of C:\

bloo meeny 22:48 03 Oct 09

Completed boot-time scan with Avast as suggested, and nothing further found.

Will not worry about it further, as computer is working ok.

Thanks for all replies.

rdave13 23:00 03 Oct 09

No rootkits then.
Suggest running Ccleaner (in default settings) and also run the registry cleaner. Make a backup when prompted. Found in 'my documents' as default.
Note 'history' and passwords will be lost.

Ccleaner; click here

bloo meeny 23:26 03 Oct 09

Thanks, but I already use CCleaner and the included reg cleaner, which is why I was surprised it got through in the first place!

Thanks for the link anyway - will be useful to others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced