What is this and what does it do? (csrss.exe)

Allan RISC OS user 14:21 22 May 06

csrss.exe

Today and yesterday the above programme was taking over all of the CPU and not allowing the mouse to move or causing it to be so slow as to be useless, and not allowing any window to be closed also I had to use the Task Manager to shutdown.
I use a crossover cable to connect with my RISC PC Computer and wish to print to the Windows printer which is connected to the Windows XP Computer which is having problems with slowness, again it took over 15 minutes to print 2 lines, and on checking I found that csrss.exe was taking all the CPU, I did manage to reduce the priority to low and managed to print. On closing down the Windows PC and re-booting I had similar problems and was not able to shut it down and had to switch off at the tower.

What do you think is the problem?

Gongoozler 14:31 22 May 06

csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem.

Sometimes csrss.exe is used as a name for malicious software. Have a look to see if you can find what folder this process is in. The legitimate one will be in C:\WINDOWS\System32

skidzy 15:09 22 May 06

What is this and what does it do? (csrss.exe)

Your user profile may be corrupt click here

csrss can be disguised as a worm/trogan/virus

Try run ning ewido click here and your AV also you may like to try this click here

Hope this helps

dan12 17:10 22 May 06

This mayThis may help you click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple