What is a wep key and where do I find one

wrcfreak 22:38 25 Jan 05

I have used Wi-Fi in Switzerland, Germany and UK without much problem (apart from the german site being all in German & having to guess were to fill in the details!)

In Italy however on loging on to the T.I.N network I was asked for a wep key. I can see on the internet there are wep key generators. Are these just for hackers?. Who would provide me with a username or wep key. I use Belkin 54g card and their software.

Griff

JonnyTub 02:18 26 Jan 05

(Wired Equivalent Privacy). WEP data encryption is defined by the 802.11 standard to prevent (i) access to the network by "intruders" using similar wireless LAN equipment and (ii) capture of wireless LAN traffic through eavesdropping. In addition to the security provided by SSID, ZoomAir incorporates WEP, allowing the administrator to define a set of respective "Keys" for each wireless network user based on a "Key String" passed through the WEP encryption algorithm. Access is denied by anyone who does not have an assigned key.

I'm guessing here but maybe it's something to do with the hotels's security policy in that you have to get a wep key from the reception desk to access the internet, as for the others? a bit lax on the security side of things, who knows

Forum Editor 07:59 26 Jan 05

now require you to enter an appropriate WEP key before you can access their networks. In hotels with wireless networks I'm used to asking for a WEP key at reception, and I know that the next time I visit the same hotel the key will almost certainly have changed - they do this at regular intervals to increase security.

Once you have your key, fire up your laptop and wait for Windows XP to produce the 'One or more wireless networks are available' bubble. Click on the icon and you'll be offered a dialogue box showing the new network (plus any others which are configured on your machine). Click on the network name and you'll be told that "This wrieless network requires the use of a network key (WEP)". Enter the key that you were given (you need to enter the key twice) and click 'Connect'.

That's it.

Forum Editor 08:01 26 Jan 05

from Web Design.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…