What wattage is my psu?

losmara 21:41 04 Jan 07

Does anybody know of a way that i can find out what watttage psu is in my system.

I'm about to upgrade my graphics card (to a radeon x800xt - probably) and i have been lead to believe that these are quite power hungry and require an additional power supply direct from the psu. So before i get it i would like to know if i need a new psu as well

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:48 04 Jan 07

there will be a label on the PSU giving the wattage.

losmara 21:50 04 Jan 07

Friut Bat /\0/\, there isn't one anywhere, i've already looked

wotbus@ 21:51 04 Jan 07

concur - you will likely have to open the case to read the label on the PSU. BE CAREFUL - CHECK HERE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

losmara 22:01 04 Jan 07

I have looked inside, there is definately no label anywhere with the wattage on.

Technotiger 22:02 04 Jan 07

No label? are you absolutely certain - I have never known of a PSU with no label, and I doubt if anyone else here has either.

Totally-braindead 22:04 04 Jan 07

Is it a branded PC eg a Dell or an Emachine or whatever, if so can you give use the model number. Have you checked all over the case for the power supply I've seen labels on the top, bottom or either side.

losmara 22:09 04 Jan 07

no, it's not a branded machine.
The only place i haven't checked is the top as this would mean taking it out of the case. Will take it out now and check the top. Be back shortly.

losmara 22:23 04 Jan 07

sorry to waste all of your time - it was on the top of the psu - I will look properly next time.

having resolved that problem -it's a 350watt psu - is this enough to power the radeon x800xt or do i need a new psu as well

Technotiger 22:24 04 Jan 07

I would advise upgrade to at least 400w ... 500w would be even better.

losmara 22:27 04 Jan 07

thanks Technotiger, I will get a new psu as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…