What is Wan miniport (network monitor)?

kurt_nirvana 09:04 18 Jun 03

Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me.
Recently (withen the last month or so) I was browsing device manager and I noticed that there was an exclaimation mark against something called 'Wan Miniport (Network Monitor)'. I clicked on it and it said the device was not working properly. There appeared to be no drivers installed to make it work. I decided to disable the device. The problem is that I dont't have any network cars installed in my pc, certainly not a wan card! I told my friend about the problem and he reckoned it could be a trojan. Does anyone know how on earth this problem arose; the Wan Mniport thing was never there before up until about a month ago and i have not installed any network cards.
It is also not possible to uninsall the device; when I try to it says 'Faild to unintall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer'.
I dont think this is needed at allto boot up my pc. Can anyone help?

DieSse 09:22 18 Jun 03

WAN = Wide Area Network - this would normally be associated with a broadband modem, or maybe an ISDN adapter.

kurt_nirvana 09:28 18 Jun 03

I dont have a broadband modem or an idsn adapter
just a 56k external modem

Legolas 09:55 18 Jun 03

The reason that uninstalling the device fails is that the device is marked in the registry as not being user removable. You can find the relevent registry key by searching the registry for the string "Packet Scheduler Miniport". The key should be under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet. The "not user removable" attribute is stored in the Characteristics bitfield of the device's registry key. The "not user removable" bit is 0x20 and clearing that bit allows the device to be removed through Device Manager.

This is taken from click here

Legolas 09:56 18 Jun 03

Sorry forgot to mention that the above is for XP but it might work with other OS's

eccomputers 12:18 18 Jun 03

are you sure the motherboard doesnt have a built in network connection? Take a careful look through the bios to see if there is a disable function. Also, doesnt AOL set this up as an option? have you installed AOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…