What Vista Do I Need

Can some tell me by the spec of my PC what type of Vista I need. I believe there are all different types that may not work on my PC.

Processor b
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Main Circuit Board
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E 2.XX
Bus Clock: 220 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1011-004 01/20/2006

Technotiger 10:41 18 Nov 07

It looks as if you need at least another 1Gb RAM for any of the Vista varieties to work to your satisfaction.

I have 1024mb DDR is that not enough then?

If I do need more ram tell me what Vista I need and I will get ram at same time. Thanks.

Pine Man 11:19 18 Nov 07

Your set up will run all versions of Vista. If you are going to use anything higher than the basic version of Vista you would be better off with another 1 GB of RAM.

So do I use x32, x64, x86? What would be better for my spec?

bremner 11:22 18 Nov 07

Do you need Vista?

Is your machine working fine? What will Vista give you that the current O/S does not?

Vista can be a problem when upgrading - it is very memory intensive and should not be considered unless you have at least 1GB of dedicated RAM. If you have onboard graphics the memory for that must be deducted from the system RAM.

Personally I have little love for Vista. For my personal needs it offers no advantages over XP and for my business needs is not yet recommended with much of the software I use.

My point is don't just upgrade because it is available - do so if it makes a difference to your computing experience.

Thanks bremner but I didn't ask for reasons why not to get it but what version I need to get!

bremner 11:31 18 Nov 07

You asked the question what do I need - not what should I get.

I was stating that you do not NEED Vista.

Crack on - Get Vista Home Premium and an extra 1GB of RAM and best of luck.

Yes but like I said x32, x64, x86?

bremner 11:36 18 Nov 07

There is only 32 bit and 64 bit. I would not bother with 64 bit as there are still issues with drivers yet to be resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac