What is a virtual cd?

machoe 05:21 19 Jun 04

Can anyone please tell me what is a virtual cd?

Bowsprit 05:41 19 Jun 04

This is large download program and short explanation click here

OU812 13:53 20 Jun 04

A virtual CD is an image of the actual CD/CD Rom held on your hard disk which via software programmes such as the last post directed you to can be 'loaded' into a virtual drive and run.

So long as you have the disk space (to store the 'image' which will be the same size or compressed to a smaller size than the original source data) this can be a very convenient solution particularly if your base unit is located away from you (in my case in another room in the interests of quiet). It also saves fiddling about trying to find a particular disk and in the case of programmes such as Auto-route makes them run more responsively as well.

I use a combination of Nero 5.5 to burn an image of the CD to my hard disk and the free Daemon tools utility click here to run it via a virtual drive.

However there are a number of programmes out there that will do the job for you its just that the above combo is free (so long as you have Nero) and I can vouch for it working well in practice.

Just remember though that if you create a virtual image you will still need an installed version of the programme stored on your HD which can double your storage requirements on a per-programme basis. However since its only games and the odd programme such as Auto-route that normally need a CD inserted to run, this shouldn't be a problem unless of course you have a huge collection of the former!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…