What is a virtual cd?

machoe 05:21 19 Jun 04

Can anyone please tell me what is avirtual cd?

Bebee 07:38 19 Jun 04

Hi. It is a program that copies a CD to your Hard Drive as a CD Image. It can then load the virtual CD into a virtual drive and run the program from the image. This drive (or more than one drive) shows up like your other drives in My Computer.

The advantage is in running programs that need the CD without having to find them and load them physically. You just create a short cut that loads the CD in the drive and runs the program. I use it a lot and love it. I think there is a version that does DVDs now. You do need plenty of disc space.

Agent Smith 09:11 19 Jun 04

Have a look at click here there is a trial version but I found it worth spending the money for the full version. As Bebee says it's great to be able to load a CD or DVD straight from the hard drive. Games play a lot faster as well because the speed of your hard drive is so much faster than a CD drive.

Bebee 14:12 19 Jun 04

Good point about speed, Agent Smith, although I don't play games. I used the trial briefly, but had used the program on a school network, where we had one drive that just ran CDs.

For me it's one of those programs that does something you need doing and makes life easier. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…