what to upgrade

chippy+ 18:53 22 May 08

hi i have an old pc which i got out from the attic it has an intell 2.60 processsor 768 ddr ram and a 40 gig drive which is over half full it has a nviada geforce 440 what would best give it a boust it can take 2 gig of ram it is running xp
Chippy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:56 22 May 08

What do you want to use it for?

That will determine what to upgrade or if it is even worth upgrading.

project 90 20:16 22 May 08

sounds like a sell and buy new 1 if your planning to play games

Technotiger 20:31 22 May 08

On the face of it I would say that the CPU is ok as is, RAM you could put to 2Gb, a minimum 80Gb hard-drive and possibly a better PSU - at least 450-500W. Oh yes, and graphics minimum Nvidia Geforce 6600.

Or - get a 'Bundle' from click here

cream. 21:13 22 May 08

an older 5400rpm drive with a small cache.

Upgrade to a faster drive click here, if the system can take it and you will see it load windows and run applications faster.

Unless you are gaming or heavy into dvd/photo manipulation, 1 gig of memory is usually sufficient.

If into gaming or dvd/photo etc, get a new graphics card.

Totally-braindead 21:22 22 May 08

Fruit Bats right in my opinion. What do you want to use it for?
I don't really consider it worthwhile to upgrade any of it as the part would die with the PC and probably would be unuseable on anything else.

You could just keep it as it is you know.

chippy+ 09:55 23 May 08

Hi thanks to all the pc is one of 4, the others are 3.2g and 2@ 4.2g i was looking at either a faster and bigger drive which has been suggested (Timmy Toad) or more memory taking it up to a gig or more, the pc itself is in good working order and the quietest of all Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant