what type of RAM can I use?

philmx 13:26 18 Jan 08

I have a gigabyte GA 81915PM motherboard (packard bell sunshine). it can take up to 4GB of RAM (1GB per slot) but I'm not sure whether it can take low or high density or both. currently it uses one 512 MB of DDR PC3200.

i want to upgrade to vista and it recommends at least 1GB of RAM, but i'll probably get an extra 2GB while I'm at it.

any help on low and high density would be appreciated. thanks

do the online scan at
click here
this will match it up for you,may i suggest buying from there also as you may experience problems using the scan but buying the memory elsewhere.

Ive also used this company and found them to be very efficient.
click here

philmx 13:38 18 Jan 08

thanks - i,ve already done this scan and got some results but it still doesn't tell me if its low or high density.

i can get 2GB off ebay for half the price but some of the auctions advertise high density and some low density and I'm not sure which to go for

personally i wouldnt buy it off ebay,its not worth the agro at half the price especially if it screws up your machine
click here

philmx 19:53 18 Jan 08

so does anybody know what the terms high and low density actually mean?

how much more information do you want?
to match up the ram correctly use crucial or orca,if you you want a barrel load of hassel use ebay or try to match it yourself.

DieSse 22:03 18 Jan 08

A guide to high/low density RAM

click here

Kingston memory type search by system or motherboard

click here

Kingston are a Grade 1 RAM manufacturer, whose products are used just about everywhere.

DieSse 22:07 18 Jan 08

This is what they say for a GA 81915P-MF

click here

DieSse 22:10 18 Jan 08

Should have said - the RAM they show is all 64-bit (ie LOW density).

DieSse 22:14 18 Jan 08

I also should have said their guide refers to matched pairs for dual-channel use. This implies your motherboard is dual-channel - in which case, get a matched pair, and sell the existing RAM.

Using the existing RAM may prevent dual-channel mode from working, and may cause issues by being not fully compatible with the new - it's not worth risking.

It's also not worth risking buying cheaper Grade 2 or 3 RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…