What type of memory for my laptop?

sillymarmoset 17:57 10 Jul 05

I would like to upgrade the memory on my laptop.
It a Time Traveller 512, using an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ mobile processor. What type of memory does it use? Can I also upgrade the processor?

howard60 18:16 10 Jul 05

laptops are more difficult than desktops. For the memory click on the click here site and it will tell you what you need. Your biggest problem will be access to the inside. As for processor you will need to know the details of your mobo and then the max cpu can be found.

Belatucadrus 18:48 10 Jul 05

Many laptops are easier that desktops, with the RAM module being accesible via a cover in the base of the unit.
Changing the CPU could be very difficult as that will almost certainly require disecting the casing to access the MOBO and without a clear idea of how to do that is probably not the best idea.

What are you doing that is going to need an upgrade over an XP1800 ?

Belatucadrus 22:22 10 Jul 05

"I have seen a screwed cover under the laptop - which seems to be for the memory - will check it out. I have sent an e-mail to Time asking for a quote of upgrading the processor if possible. I need to have a bit more power for playing with video files - maybe just a memory and hardrive upgrade is all that is needed? "

Looks like the RAM upgrade shouldn't be a problem. The hard drive is another where upgrading may not be too difficult as some laptops give reasonable access to the drive. But You will probably need a full OS copy, don't Time use reset disks ? May be worth looking at an external USB drive instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…