What is this - %systemroot%system32\dumprep 0 -k

PvG 17:57 20 May 07

Does anyone know what these are, found in MSCONFIG?
Can't find anything useful in Google.
%systemroot%system32\dumprep 0 -k

Have aso found a "blank entry" listed under HKCUsoftware\microsoftWindows\currentversion\run - what is this?
Am running AVG, Sygate and did a full virus scan last week.
If a dnager, how can I get rid of it / them?

Thanks
PvG

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 20 May 07

No danger its a reg dump done by windows after an unexpected shutdown.

Untick any boxes you are not sure ablout BUT leave fireweall and antivirus running.

SANTOS7 18:25 20 May 07

If you have a crash, Windows will set up a memory dump for diagnostic purposes. Microsoft hope you will allow these dumps to be forwarded to them for analysis. To facilitate this a new startup is created - system32\dumprep 0 -k or dumprep 0 -u.

You're right to be a little bit cautious about this because malware can often give itself a very similar name and file path. But I think yours is legitimate.

No harm can come by refusing permission to these startups, because they are unnecessary - you don't have to send the report to Uncle Bill!

You can disable the startup by right clicking on My Computer, select 'Properties' then select the 'Advanced' tab. Click the 'Settings' button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section, then in the drop-down box entitled 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' . Finally click O.K., and you should not be bothered by this next time you have a system crash.

PvG 19:43 20 May 07

Thanks for your help.
PvG

1973scotty 19:47 20 May 07

hi can you please heko i am looking foe site so i can download music videos

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos