What is system volume?

EFC1878 21:49 07 Jan 11

I am running windows 7 and have just completed a defrag using defraggler. At the end of the defrag I was left with 13% fragmentation some 7+gb.

The files were listed as c: system volume information.The filename was a series of numbers and letters that meant nothing to me.

What is system volume information? Can this be deleted and if not will it continue to grow?

northumbria61 22:10 07 Jan 11

System Volume information is where your System Restore points and other stuff are stored.

The System Volume Information can get bloated pretty fast over time; mainly by installing and uninstalling programs.

Open the Disk Cleanup utility, go to the More Options tab and and Cleanup the System Restore.
it will delete all your restore points except the last one.

OR -

You can set the max allocated space in System Volume Information for each disk by System Restore.

Open the Control Panel and click System, or right-click on Computer / Properties. The System window will open, where you can see your WEI, comp name, etc. On the left click on System protection to open that dialog. One by one select each drive under Protection Settings and click Configure. There you can select the max amount it will use for the drive's System Volume Information folder, or none at all. I only enable it for my system drive.

northumbria61 22:11 07 Jan 11

You could disable "system restore" - maybe not such a good idea if you don't do regular backups OR check the box at "hide system files", you won't even know it's there

northumbria61 22:13 07 Jan 11

You could also read this click here

EFC1878 22:33 07 Jan 11

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do not want to disable system restore as I find it a very handy tool. I did try the disk cleanup via the options process but it does not seem to have made any difference as when I ran defraggler and analysed the frgamented files still included the same amount of system volume information

northumbria61 23:07 07 Jan 11

Found this post (albeit an old one) where System Volume Information (SVI) folder with sub-folders has been deleted and space "regained" - However there is no mention of OS - the rest is down to you - click here

northumbria61 23:19 07 Jan 11

The only other option would be to "control" the amount of space used by SVI as per my earlier instructions - ie: from "Open the Control Panel or Right click Computer/Properties" etc.

bremner 08:13 08 Jan 11

"maybe not such a good idea if you don't do regular backups"

Just to be absolutely clear. SVI does not backup your files; pictures, music, vidoe etc.

Only Windows system files and programs. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…