what is system hybernation?

STEVE71163 12:01 03 Mar 03

Can anyone tell me what system hybernation is? Will it stop screensavers etc running in the background. I was told that by putting your system in hybernation you sometimes have trouble restarting it?

powerless 12:21 03 Mar 03

"When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk, and your computer is switched off. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you turned the computer off are restored on the desktop.

To put your computer into hibernation, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support this option.

Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only the options that you can control."

MAJ 12:48 03 Mar 03

Be aware if you activate Hibernation, that the same amount of disk space as your amount of RAM will be set aside for it to store your files. So if you have 1GB of memory, you will "lose" 1GB of free disk space.

STEVE71163 13:08 03 Mar 03

Thanks for the reply. Do you get it out of hibernation by moving the mouse?

powerless 13:18 03 Mar 03

No - Your computer is actually switched off so power button needs pressing.

STEVE71163 13:23 03 Mar 03

Thanks Powerless. I was trying to think of a way of running my coral screensaver without putting the pc under so much stress for long periods of time. This is obviously not the answer.

Stokey 14:29 03 Mar 03

MAJ is right -- anyway as you will see from past threads hibernation/standby etc can cause problems on all OSs. Best just to use std screen saver of your choice (say 20 minutes, although todays monitors do not really need them anyway)and switch monitor off manually if you are going to be away from your puter for more than an hour or so.

3tg 15:08 03 Mar 03

I have an Hp computer with Windows ME, it has a hibernation button (quartermoon symbol). when I use it, the computer asks me if I want it to go into hibernation. I use it all the time but I only have to move the mouse or hit a button to reactivate the computer, I have never used the power button to bring it back to life. Cheers

Stokey 15:20 03 Mar 03

3tg is also right. If you are using a keyboard that came with the computer the shortcut buttons for anything will work. They are keyed in so to do (bios).

powerless 15:26 03 Mar 03

I have just put the computer into hibernation myself...

Power was off, no mouse movement brought it out of hibernation.

I can turn the computer on in two ways

1) Press the power button

2) Press the space bar on the keyboard.

Note on 2 i have selcted with the BIOS for the computer to wake (turn on) via the keyboard.

There is also an option to wake up on the movement of the mosue.

In Hibernation the computer is switched OFF. Thats why it moves the information off the RAM and onto the HDD.

3tg 20:32 03 Mar 03

Thank you Stokey, Powerless, my computer goes silent and the screen shuts down too. But it still wakes up if I move the mouse !.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…