What is Symantec Antivirus??

buel 22:34 14 Apr 09

Hi, please can anyone tell me what 'Symantec Antivirus' is? It is already on a laptop that i have just bought, is it important? Id rather use AVG you see...

gardener 22:42 14 Apr 09

Symantec Antivirus is a good antivirus programme so if you've got it free then keep it. You should only run one antivirus programme on your computer as more than one will cause conflicts. Antispyware programmes can be run alongside antivirus programmes so get yourself one of those and you'll be safe.

buel 22:44 14 Apr 09

Thanks for that, can i ask you what is the difference between antivirus and antispyware? Can i run AVG alongside Symantec?

DieSse 22:48 14 Apr 09

"Id rather use AVG you see..."

I wouldn't recommend you to use AVG - read this from their site about it's shortcomings.

click here

The Symantec AV you have is probably only a short-term (90days possibly) version - then you have to pay.

If you want good free protection - look at Avira AV, Avast AV, or Comodo Security Suite.

If you want the best paid protection, look at Eset Security Suite.

Belatucadrus 22:49 14 Apr 09

Don't run two anti virus programs as they can clash horribly. Also be very careful of the Symantec package that came with the PC, in most cases they only supply a short term trial, three months if your lucky then they want you to pay, I'd stick with AVG or avast!.

DieSse 22:50 14 Apr 09

"Can i run AVG alongside Symantec?"

No - definitely not, they're both Anti-Virus.

For good additional Spywae/general Malware protection, look at Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D (both free). Always use two, as each will pick up things the other wont.

gardener 22:54 14 Apr 09

No, because the two programmes are antivirus programmes and will probably conflict with each other. As I said, I'd stick with Symantec but you'll probably have to shell out some money for it after a certain period of time because it'll be a time limited prog. Usually you have to pay a yearly subscription for good antivirus progs. I think it's worth it.

buel 22:54 14 Apr 09

Great advice, thankyou! Just one point- the Symantec was on here when i got it but it is a 2nd hand laptop so....we'll see! While im here, please can anyone tell me how to find my system details of the laptop as i need to know if it has wireless capabilities..

gardener 23:04 14 Apr 09

Click the start button, right click on 'Computer' then click on properties and go to device manager. That should show you all the hardware that's in the laptop.

buel 23:38 14 Apr 09

Ah, i was more after the system/laptop details really, not the hardware details..(as device manager just told me that the laptop is using the plug-in wireless Netgear card whereas i want to know whether it has it's own wireless capability)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…