what stops system restore from working in XP?

broomey3 11:19 31 Dec 04

I run a Medion computer with XP home edition. The system restore will not restore to previous restore points. Where can I find information as to why it won't work? I have been on Microsoft's site, and have learnt a lot about how it works, and what files are backed up, and which are not, but where can I find reasons why it won't work?
I have turned system restore off, done full anti-virus checks with Norton Systemworks 2003, turned system restore back on again. The restore points are being created, but the system won't restore any of them, but the frustrating thing is, it doesn't tell you why!!!
In desperation, and to ensure that my system is protected, I have installed Go Back from the Norton Systemworks disc.
So, Can anyone please point me in the direction of information that helps diagnose problems and might tell me what is wrong here?
For the record, Intel Pentium 4, 3.0GHz, 512Mb ram, SP2, 200Gb hard drive formatted into 3 drives.

Fjellman 12:23 31 Dec 04

I've had this same problem with ME for some time. I found a patch on the Microsoft website that seemed to cure things, but only for a while! After a couple of months the problem returned. I then discovered that System Restore was deleting all of my own manual restore points that I had created.
To be honest I've found it to be a useless bit of kit overall and hasn't woked for me when I've really needed it, so I don't bother with it any more.
From what I understand this is not an uncommon problem.

Stuartli 13:51 31 Dec 04

Microsoft's website states:

Q. What should I do if System Restore does not work?

Try the following steps:

Ensure the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running. For instructions on how to do this, see "How can I verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) services are running on my machine?" in this section.

Ensure the Task Scheduler is running. For instructions on how do to this, see "How can I verify that the Task Scheduler is running on my machine?" in this section.

Verify that you have enough free space on all your drives as required by System Restore. If the free space on any partition system restore is monitoring falls below 50 MB, System Restore will suspend and purge out all restore points to free up disk space. It will automatically reactivate when 200 MB+ free space is available.

Examine event logs for any system restore-related errors that could help you identify the problem"

(You can find the Event Log from Control Panel>Administrative Tools)

Stuartli 13:52 31 Dec 04

Further info at:

click here

JohnC123 17:08 31 Dec 04

I have a similar problem - my system restore won't work It starts, gets about half way along the blue line (I'm trying it in Safe mode) then it freezes there.
When I start my pc it starts up and then the Windows installer pops up asking to install Word 2002 - sometimes it asks me to insert my Windows XP Pro CD at other times is says auto check not found. I tried to defrag but that won't go either.
Does anyone have any ideas ? Any suggestions will be appreciated - Thanks- John.

broomey3 18:15 02 Jan 05

Thanks for the responses. Stuartli, I have tried all this after visiting the Microsoft site. Everything you mention has been tried, and found to be okay. There is tons of free hard drive space, and WMI and task scheduler are both working properly. The event logger was of limited use, and certainly didn't help in diagnosing the fault.
Thanks anyway. I will continue to use Norton GoBack, and ensure that I backup regularly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…