What speed RAM do I need?

chub_tor 18:13 05 Aug 09

I am putting together a system for a friend who has chosen this motherboard click here and this processor click here. Where I am at a loss is which RAM to go for. He is on a budget hence the choice of motherboard and processor so I can't go too mad. It will be used with 32 bit Vista and eventually Windows7. He is not a gamer but does like processing video and photographs. Please don't suggest alternative motherboards and processors, they have already been purchased by him, it's the speed of the DDR2 RAM we need help with.

GaT7 18:19 05 Aug 09

I would go for this kit at just under £34 @ eBuyer too: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.8v click here. G

Fingees 18:49 05 Aug 09

If you want an operating system,
I suggest you download windows 7 RC.
It's available now free, and will work till next year.
This will give you chance to see if you like it or not.

Just an idea.

GaT7 19:17 05 Aug 09

If you follow Fingees advice regarding Win7, then you must be quick to download the RC click here (expires 20/08) & pre-order at the discounted rate of ~£50 (expires 15/08) for the Premium version.

The original discounted rate for the Premium version seems to be available at only couple of retailers at the moment: John Lewis click here & Argos click here (keeps going in/out of stock ever so often for the latter, so keep checking frequently).

Prices are set to increase after 15/08, & even possibly triple (Premium version) from early next year. G

P.S. Other retailers to regularly check at are:
Comet click here, Currys click here, Dixons click here, PCWorld click here, Amazon click here+, eBuyer click here, Microsoft Store click here, Misco click here, Micro Anvika click here, Play click here, Staples click here, Overclockers click here & Tesco click here

Remember expiry is only 10 days away: 15th August, 2009

chub_tor 19:21 05 Aug 09

Thank you for your suggestion, the only memory that I had spotted on ebuyer was about £5 more expensive, so well done. As long as it does justice to the processor then I will add it to his shopping list.

Fingees, not a bad idea, but what will likely happen is that we will try and use his existing 1Tb hard drive that is currently partitioned with XP and Vista. Maybe change the XP partition to Windows7 and run it with Vista as a trial.

GaT7 21:19 05 Aug 09

You can make do with lower rated PC2-5300 RAM as well, but I'd stick with PC2-6400. Higher rated RAM is really only needed if your friend is an avid overclocker. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant