What software lets me play vcd

silas.b 18:18 20 Apr 03

Can any one please tell me how i can play vcds on my computer.
ive got win XP.
is there anything i should download?

powerless 18:31 20 Apr 03

VCD's are usually MPEGS.

So Windows Media Player should be able to play them or Realplayer click here

silas.b 18:33 20 Apr 03

it sayd i have to download something, its just a codec for media player

« Ravin » 18:42 20 Apr 03

you can play video cd's using media player itself..

insert the cd, open media player and go to file open, browse go to your cd drive and open the file called AVSEQ01.dat or music01.dat in the mpegav folder.

or if you're using media player 9 open media player and pop in your cd and it should start playing automatically or click on the arrow next to "now playing" and click on your cd drive to start playing the movie

siouxah1 21:01 20 Apr 03

Silas.b,

Did you get a DVD player software with your graphics card? Most of the later ones do have this software. Later ones do play VCD and SVCD.

Regards Brian j

silas.b 21:03 20 Apr 03

yea i did get some software called powerdvd but it doesnt make the video play.

troydi 21:19 20 Apr 03

A program called showshifter should work. It's a fab program, but it does cost £30, and is primarily for tv, but it does play dvd's and video files too. You can get a free trial at click here

siouxah1 21:29 20 Apr 03

silas.b,

sorry about that, did try out a VCD on mine which is intervideo Win DVD which came with abit saluro.

suspect yours does not have the correct codec and not sure which one required.

Regards Brian j

siouxah1 21:36 20 Apr 03

silas.b,

another path to investigate is if you have a sondblaster installed. If so, investigate whether creative play centre is available to you on the instalation disc.

Regards Brian j

rickf 22:08 20 Apr 03

Powerdvd should play vcds happily. Mine does all the time. Actually a cd rom should also play vcds as weel. The fault is probably somewhere else. As said windows media player plays vcd too. Try uninstalling PDVD and reinstalling and give it a go.

VoG™ 23:01 20 Apr 03

You may need the codecs - they are free click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…