What software is best excel pr access

oo7juk 21:13 03 Aug 05

Hi there,

Want to set up a central system in my work so that I can do my job a lot better. Would not ask but my interest has grown with IT over the past year and would like to take it to the next level.

At the moment I use excel and access for my day to day work, but there is a lot of duplication and would like to merge what I do together and hopefully reduce the inputs I have to do.

I won't go into to much detail just incase I'm posting in the wrong room or forum.

If anybody knows what program/web site would be best or knows of any other I would love to know.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

interzone55 21:19 03 Aug 05

Excel is a spreadsheet program, useful if you have lots of numerical or financial data to view or analyse.

Access is a database, useful if you have a lot of data that you wish to break down or report on. In some ways their jobs overlap, but the main differential is that Excel is fantastic if you need to do calculations or graph your data.

I use both, Access is used to store the data my office collects daily. This data is entered into Access forms, where it's collected in tables. The data is then queried and viewed in reports. If any further calulation of analysis is required the report is output into Excel.

I always find Dummies books useful for getting to grips with a program, as, whilst the authors are obviously very knowledgable on their subject, they use very little technical jargon.

oo7juk 21:44 03 Aug 05

Thanks for that, may purchase Access/Ecel for dummies.

I like the idea of access, at the end of the day I want to be able to input data quickly and at a touch of a button prepare monthly and quarterly reports. It would be benefical I think to use the one program. Don't really need graphs, but the option as you said will be there as long as I have the data.

Many thanks

VoG II 21:53 03 Aug 05

You may want to look at Pivot Tables in Excel. click here

The sort of data that you will be storing and what you want to do with it will be important determinants.

Tell us more - you are in the right room.

keith-236785 22:18 03 Aug 05

and may i say, with the right person on the thread, i mean VoG of course who is very up on excel and will sort out your problem (most likely)

oo7juk 16:24 04 Aug 05

Thanks for your replies.

Vog,

At the moment I'm using excel and access, but I would like to set up a database I think so that all the info is stored in the one place. Would it be possible just to pm you and I can give you some examples. At the end of the day would love to set something up so that I can generate reports quickly. Forgot to mention I'm also using Lotus Notes and would like to bring that data to the one program as well.

Many thanks.

VoG II 16:29 04 Aug 05

Yes feel free to send me a PM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…