what is soak testing?

dfghjkl 18:15 06 Nov 03

i am about to order my first self build and i see some stores offer ready to install kits that have been soak tested,they charge about ?20 extra for this,what do they do,and is it worth it?

alan 2273 18:24 06 Nov 03

This means that all the components in the bundle have been run together to check for any faults.

DieSse 18:25 06 Nov 03

Soak testing refers to testing that takes a longer time - I wouldn't regard anything that had been soak tested to have been run for less than 48Hrs continuously.

dfghjkl 18:28 06 Nov 03

is it worth the cost?

alan 2273 18:29 06 Nov 03

Should have added, ?20 can be worth it because you are sure the parts of these kits will work together.
Occasionally when you buy your components from different sources they will not all work together, so if this is your first build it will give you some peace of mind although I stand to be corrected.

Gemma 18:31 06 Nov 03

In PC terms, soak testing means having the machine run for, say 24 hours, to flush out any "early life failures" or "out of the box" faults. Generally if it is going to fail it happens earlier rather than later. HOWEVER just leaving it powered on is not enough. The real job uses programs that run the disks, open and close the CD drawers and read/write the media. The machine should also be powered down and up many times and the AC power supplied varied across the advertised voltage and frequency limts with the added benefit of mains carried noise for good measure.

Serious testing (almost never seen for domestic products) does this in an environment chamber that ramps the temperature up and down across a range of humidities too.

As you can imagine, testing life critical parts (aviation, medical, military....) is a science itself.

For your question, ?20 would be value for a reasonable test but a waste of money for a simple "power-on overnight".

Forum Editor 18:35 06 Nov 03

Good question.

If it saves you from setting up a system only to find that the hard drive is a dud, then yes, it is worth it. Computer components can have manufacturing faults, just like anything else, but it's extremely rare.

Compared to the overall cost of a new system the ?20 extra isn't a great deal PROVIDED the soak test involves a 48 hour non-stop run, as DieSse says.

dfghjkl 18:36 06 Nov 03

i will probably take the chance,it takes a bit of the fun out of it,after all it is a self build,i am also on a bit of a tight budget,i will leave thread running incase of horror stories

Jester2K II 18:36 06 Nov 03

And they have some sort of guarantee that states its been done and you have some sort of come back should something fail.

dfghjkl 18:46 06 Nov 03

i am only after mobo,cpc,h\sink and fan,and memory,i see the flaws in my plan ,i could get a dud stick of memory,so i will take a majority vote on it later.off to take mrs to work (then pc peace)

dfghjkl 18:48 06 Nov 03

ps my choice is ?130 or ?150 for tested,not a lot i know but i am a careful northerner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…