What is SMART and should I enable it?

bemuzed 21:07 25 Sep 05

I have just installed a new motherboard and CPU and have been adjusting the BIOS. I see SAMRT in not enabled. What is SMART and should I enable it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 25 Sep 05

click here

will let you know when HDD is beginning to accumulate errors.

Very slightly slows down the boot sequence that is why some people disable it.

spud22 21:15 25 Sep 05

it should be disabled it monitors a drive for faults but will slow down access times i believe.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:25 25 Sep 05

SMART will not slow a hard drive down enough to notice and can give you advance warning of impending failure. That advance warning could prove very useful.

Stuartli 21:25 25 Sep 05

I prefer it to be enabled.

spud22 21:44 25 Sep 05

does it not need aditional software to give you info

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:47 25 Sep 05

No addition software required It comes up on the POST scree when you first boot up. Provided you have enabled it in BIOS.
All new hard drives have it incorporated on their drives

GaT7 22:06 25 Sep 05

You can have additional software if you want like PassMark's free DiskCheckup click here.

"DiskCheckup displays the current values of the SMART attributes, along with the Threshold value for that attribute. If any attribute value is close to or below the threshold, the drive is no longer reliable and should be replaced. Note that SMART attributes change slowly over time and are helpful when diagnosing the life span of a particular drive." G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…